The Colt Single Action Army, also known as the Single Action Army, SAA, Model P, Peacemaker, M1873, and Colt .45 is a single-action revolver with a revolving cylinder holding six metallic cartridges. The Colt SAA has been offered in over 30 different calibers and various barrel lengths. government service revolver trials of 1872 by Colt's Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company — today's Colt's Manufacturing Company — and was adopted as the standard military service revolver until 1892.Its overall appearance has remained consistent since 1873.Colt has discontinued its production twice, but brought it back due to popular demand.The revolver was popular with ranchers, lawmen, and outlaws alike, but as of the early 21st century, models are mostly bought by collectors and re-enactors.Its design has influenced the production of numerous other models from other companies.
Their effort was designed for the United States government service revolver trials of 1872 by Colt's Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company and adopted as the standard military service revolver.Production began in 1873 with the Single Action Army model 1873, was chambered in .45 Colt, a centerfire design containing charges of up to 40 grains (2.6 g) of fine-grained black powder and a 255-grain (16.5 g) blunt roundnosed bullet.Relative to period cartridges and most later handgun rounds, it was quite powerful in its full loading.The Colt Single Action Army revolver, along with the 18 Smith & Wesson Model 3 "Schofield" revolver, replaced the Colt 1860 Army Percussion revolver.The Colt quickly gained favor over the S&W and remained the primary US military sidearm until 1892 when it was replaced by the .38 Long Colt caliber Colt Model 1892, a double-action revolver with swing-out cylinder. 16,000 was reached; 12,500 Colt Single Action Army revolvers chambered for the .45 Colt cartridge had entered service and the remaining revolvers were sold in the civilian market.The Single Action Army became available in standard barrel lengths of 4¾ inch, 5½ inch, as well as the Cavalry standard, original 7½ inch.